How to Apply for WIC
To apply for the WIC Program please contact the office of the local WIC agency that serves the residents of the county in which you live.
- To find the location of the WIC office for your county, you may:
- To obtain additional referral forms, pamphlets, or other information contact your county health department or the DHHS Customer Service Center at 1-800-662-7030. DHHS Customer Service Center staff will never ask callers for bank account or credit card information.
When you go to apply for WIC, please remember to bring:
- Proof of identification (for all individuals applying for WIC)
- Proof of income (for all household members with income)
- Proof of residence (where you live)
Examples of what you will need to bring:
- Identification: (Only one is needed) - Valid driver's license, Social Security card, current work/school ID, current Medicaid card, current military ID, birth certificate, immunization record, and for infants: hospital crib card, ID bracelet or mother’s verification of facts form.
- Residence (where you live): (Only one is needed) - Current utility bill, valid driver’s license, current Medicaid card (or presumptive eligibility form), bank statement, current rental or mortgage receipts, Division of Motor Vehicle ID card.
- Income: Current paycheck stubs, if self-employed your recent tax return or history of earnings for the past twelve months, current Medicaid card, a letter of certification for the NC Food and Nutrition Services, a letter from your employer stating gross income and frequency of pay, unemployment letter/notice.
To qualify for WIC, applicants must be both income eligible and have an identified medical/nutritional risk factor. These criteria will be assessed when
you apply for WIC at your local WIC office.
With some exceptions, each person applying for WIC must be physically present at the time of application at the local WIC office.