School Food Authorities and At-Risk Afterschool Meals (SFA-ARAMs)
ARAM Quick Facts
- Who qualifies?
School Food Authorities participating in and in good standing with the National School Lunch Program qualify for the CACFP At-Risk Afterschool Meals Program
- What are the benefits to children?
SFAs can serve supper plus a snack each day during the week to school aged children after school*
- What are the menu requirements?
SFAs can choose between the NSLP meal pattern and the CACFP meal pattern for menus
- Are there any flexibilities during COVID-19?
During COVID-19, the USDA has waived the area eligibility requirement for ARAM. In addition, programs can apply for waivers to send meals and snacks home with children, drop off meals via bus routes, or allow for parent or guardian meal pickup. There are additional waivers available for meal patterns and meal service times. The state agency must approve all waiver requests before implementation.
*ARAMs are also eligible to serve a meal and a snack on weekends and on non-instructional days during the school’s regular calendar year (i.e., Teacher Workdays, Winter Break, etc.)
How to Apply (1, 2, 3)
#1 Email your forms to CACFPNewapp@dhhs.nc.gov
#2 The State agency will provide access to NC CARES
This is the online system through which institutions apply and file claims
#3 Complete the online application in NC CARES following the New Institution Application Guide for SFA-ARAM
- With documentation of active SAM registration form SAM.gov
- Team Nutrition (USDA) – Digital Nutrition Resources for Kids
- Team Nutrition offers online resources to assist At-Risk Afterschool Meal Programs in meeting the education and enrichment requirements of the program, this is especially useful during COVID-19 distance restrictions. There are games, reading, songs, an online student portal, activities, and videos.
- No Kid Hungry
- 12 weeks of virtual activities that kids can complete at home: http://bestpractices.nokidhungry.org/resource/virtual-afterschool-enrichment-ideas
- Print materials, handouts and other activity sheets that can be printed and provided with meals: http://bestpractices.nokidhungry.org/resource/afterschool-enrichment-print-materials
Last Modified: 03-29-2021