NC Maternity Center Breastfeeding-Friendly Designation Program
The initiative has been developed to recognize those maternity centers that have taken steps to promote, protect and support breastfeeding in their organization.
NC Breastfeeding-Friendly Child Care Designation Program
The program is currently on hiatus. Please check back frequently for updates.
COVID-19 Resources for Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources for Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women
- World Health Organization (WHO) Breastfeeding and COVID-19
- Carolina Global Breastfeeding Institute Resources for Breastfeeding and COVID-19
- Fourth Trimester ProjectTM
NC Division of Public Health Resources
- Breastfeeding promotion and support posters are available for free download!
- Promoting, Protecting, and Supporting Breastfeeding: A North Carolina Blueprint for Action (PDF, 2.1 MB)
Child Care Sheet: How to Handle Pumped Milk (PDF, 124 KB)
- Cuidado de niños: Manejo de la leche materna (PDF, 133 KB)
Businesses Leading the Way in Support of Breastfeeding
- Eat Smart North Carolina: Businesses Leading the Way in Support of Breastfeeding - 2nd Edition is a planning and resource primer for any employer who is looking for suggestions on becoming a breastfeeding-friendly worksite or business. It can be used in a variety of worksite settings including private and non-profit businesses, faith organizations, schools, child care, government agencies as well as community organizations. The primer outlines federal and state breastfeeding-related directives and describes the benefits for businesses that choose to support breastfeeding for their employees and customers. Practical information such as sample policies, easy practices to implement, NC success stories from employees, and state and national breastfeeding resources are also included. Whether your business is just starting to think of ways to support breastfeeding mothers or you need ideas for how to expand what you are already doing, this primer walks you through the options and resources to build success.
File Download Options:
- Eat Smart North Carolina: Businesses Leading the Way in Support of Breastfeeding - 2nd Edition (Low-Ink Version -- for printing in black and white on a personal printer) (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Eat Smart North Carolina: Businesses Leading the Way in Support of Breastfeeding - 2nd Edition (Medium Resolution Version -- for printing in color on a personal printer) (PDF, 2.7 MB
- Eat Smart North Carolina: Businesses Leading the Way in Support of Breastfeeding - 2nd Edition (Professional Print Version -- for printing in color using a professional printing company) (PDF, 4.8 MB)
- Loving Support Award of Excellence (USDA)
- North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition - The NCBC brings together breastfeeding advocates, health care providers, agencies, individuals, organizations and families to support, protect and promote breastfeeding in the state of North Carolina. Founded in 2005, the NCBC provides a forum for development and exchange of resources for families and breastfeeding professionals. The vision of the NCBC is to ensure that exclusive and continued breastfeeding is the norm in North Carolina.
- US Breastfeeding Committee - The United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) is an independent nonprofit organization that was formed in 1998 in response to the Innocenti Declaration of 1990, of which the United States Agency for International Development was a co-sponsor. USBC is now a coalition of more than 50 organizations that support its mission to improve the Nation’s health by working collaboratively to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding.
- Office of the Surgeon General - On January 20, 2011, Surgeon General Regina M. Benjamin released The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding. This document calls on all of us to provide support for the breastfeeding mother-baby dyad.
North Carolina Maternity Center Breastfeeding Friendly Designation next application deadline is October 31, 2020.
Available now! NEW posters available in English and Spanish: Breastfeed anywhere, anytime.
- Breastfeed anywhere, anytime (ENGLISH version) (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Breastfeed anywhere, anytime (SPANISH version) (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Support families in your community! Become breastfeeding friendly today:
Support mothers returning to work -- check out the Making it Work toolkit!
Last Modified: 9-4-2020